Friday, February 4, 2011

Vegansim: the practice of eliminating animal products and the commodity status of animals.

I've often heard the term "vegan," coupled with the term "crazy." You can add the words "hippy," and "anorexic" to that list as well, if you'd like. Basically, this is the conversation you may hear between a vegan and a carnivore:

Vegan: "Oh, I'm a vegan!"
Carnivore: "Oh, so you don't eat anything."

People have seemed to have a warped misperception of vegans (and other types of people who use the term "veggie" to describe themselves), so I'm here to get to the bottom of that. Are they really as healthy as they say (or think) they are? Are they just insane hippies who secretely crave the flesh of animals when they're in isolation? Well, I don't have any answers for you yet; but I will.
Being a vegetarian, I guess I was the most likely candidate for this challenge when The Chief decided to do a double-truck on fitness/health. It's an experiment, I guess. For one week, I'm sacrificing my health and my sanity to go vegan for an investigative report on veganism for the paper, and this is the outlet in which I will pour out all of my tears, laughs, and maybe some extra soy milk that I can't bring myself to swallow.
...and I just "liked" Veganism on Facebook so that makes this project so much more legitimate now.
One week
One girl
One shred of sanity to keep intact
$80 worth of "food"
Can I do it?
Stay tuned to watch me go green and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment